Last modified: October, 2023
Technology Student Association ("Organization," "We,” or “Us”) values and respects your privacy and are committed to protecting it through our compliance with this policy.
This policy describes the types of information we may collect from you or that you may provide when you visit the website https://tsaweb.org/tsa and the domains accessible through that URL (e.g., https://tsamembership.registermychapter.com/# and https://tsamembership.registermychapter.com/members#) (our "Services") and our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting, and disclosing that information.
This policy applies to information we collect:
- Through our Services.
- In email, text, and other electronic messages between you and the Organization.
It does not apply to information collected by:
- Us offline or through any other means, including on any other website operated by Organization or any third party (including our affiliates and subsidiaries); or
- Any third party (including our affiliates and subsidiaries), including through any application or content (including advertising) that may link to or be accessible from or through the Services.
Children Under the Age of 13
Please note that we will collect your and your child’s contact information for the purpose of providing our voluntary notice to you, as parent or guardian, about your child’s participation in our services. We will not otherwise use or disclose the collected information for any other purpose. Additionally, we commit to make reasonable efforts to ensure that you, as parent or guardian, receive the notice.
In some instances, we may collect a child’s online contact information without obtaining verifiable parental consent as permitted by applicable law. These instances include, without limitation:
- One-time contact with a child if we are responding to a request from that child, subject to the requirements that we will not use the information to contact the child again or for any other purpose, will not disclose the information, and will delete the information promptly after responding to the child’s request;
- To respond to a child’s specific request made more than once, provided we do not use their information for any other purpose or combine it with any other information collected from the child. In these instances, we will make reasonable efforts to provide parents with notice and the means to opt-out of future contact by the child;
- To support our internal operations, such as maintaining or analyzing the functioning of our Services, so long as we only use the child’s information for such purposes;
- To protect the safety of a child;
- And other instances as permitted by applicable law.
Information We Collect About You and How We Collect It
We collect several types of information from and about users of our Services, including information:
- By which you may be personally identified, such as name, postal address, email address, telephone number, or any other identifier by which you may be contacted online or offline ("personal information");
- That is about you but individually does not identify you; and/or
- About your internet connection, the equipment you use to access our Services, and usage details.
Please note, however, that personal information does not include:
- Publicly available information from government records; and
- Deidentified or aggregated consumer information.
In particular, our Services collects the following categories of personal information:
- Identifiers – first and last name, email address, postal address, phone number, or other similar identifiers;
We collect this information:
- Directly from you when you provide it to us.
- From third parties, for example, our business partners and service providers such as our web hosting provider.
Information You Provide To Us
The information we collect on or through our Services may include:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on or otherwise interacting with our Services. This includes information provided at the time of registering to use our Services, subscribing to our service, posting material, or requesting further services. We may also ask you for information when you report a problem with our Services.
- Your opt-in choices and communication preferences.
- Information to verify an account such as proof of identity or age.
- Information in correspondence you send to us.
- Your responses to surveys that we might ask you to complete for research purposes.
- Your search queries on the Services.
You also may provide information to be published or displayed (hereinafter, "posted") on public areas of the Services, or transmitted to other users of the Services or third parties (collectively, "User Contributions"). Your User Contributions are posted on and transmitted to others at your own risk. Although we limit access to certain pages, please be aware that no security measures are perfect or impenetrable. Additionally, we cannot control the actions of other users of the Services with whom you may choose to share your User Contributions. Therefore, we cannot and do not guarantee that your User Contributions will not be viewed by unauthorized persons.
Information We Collect Through Automatic Data Collection Technologies
We do not collect personal information through the use of automatic data collection technologies on our Services.
Information We Receive from Third Parties
- Third-Party Services. We may collect information about you from third-party services, such as advertising partners, data providers, and analytics providers.
- Other Users of the Services. Sometimes other users of the Services may provide us information about you, including through customer service inquiries.
- Other Sources. We may collect information about you from other publicly available sources.
How We Use Your Information
We use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any personal information:
- To present our Services and their respective contents to you.
- To provide you with information, products, or services that you request from us.
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it.
- To provide you with notices about your account, including expiration and renewal notices (if applicable).
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including for billing and collection.
- To notify you about changes to our Services or any products or services we offer or provide though it.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features on our Services.
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information.
- For any other purpose with your consent.
We may also use your information to contact you about our own and third-parties' goods and services that may be of interest to you if you opt-in to receive those communications from us. If you do not want us to use your information in this way, you are not obligated to sign-up for our newsletter and, if you have already signed up for it, you can opt-out at any time by using the “Unsubscribe” (or other similar) link in the footer of each newsletter email you receive or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information, see the section titled “Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information.”
Disclosure of Your Information
We may disclose aggregated information about our users, and information that does not identify any individual, without restriction.
- To our subsidiaries and affiliates.
- To contractors, service providers, and other third parties we use to support our business.
- To a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of the Organization's assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by Technology Student Association about our Services users is among the assets transferred.
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it.
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
- With your consent.
We may also disclose your personal information:
- To comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request.
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of Technology Student Association, our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information
We strive to provide you with choices regarding the personal information you provide to us. We have created mechanisms to provide you with the following control over your information:
- Promotional Offers from the Organization. If you do not wish to have your contact information used by the Organization to promote our own or third parties' products or services, you are not obligated to sign-up for our newsletter and, if you have already signed up for it, you can opt-out at any time by using the “Unsubscribe” (or other similar) link in the footer of each newsletter email you receive or by emailing us at email@example.com. If we have sent you a promotional email, you may send us a return email asking to be omitted from future email distributions. This opt-out does not apply to information provided to the Organization as a result of a product purchase, product service experience or other transactions.
We do not control third parties' collection or use of your information to serve interest-based advertising. However these third parties may provide you with ways to choose not to have your information collected or used in this way. You can opt out of receiving targeted ads from members of the Network Advertising Initiative ("NAI") on the NAI's website.
Accessing and Correcting Your Information
If you have an account, you can review and change your personal information by logging into the Services and visiting your account profile page.
You may also send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to request access to, correct or delete any personal information that you have provided to us. We cannot delete your personal information except by also deleting your user account. We may not accommodate a request to change information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect.
If you delete your User Contributions from the Services, copies of your User Contributions may remain viewable in cached and archived pages, or might have been copied or stored by other Services users.
Your State Privacy Rights
California's "Shine the Light" law (Civil Code Section § 1798.83) permits users of our App that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an email to email@example.com or contact us using the other contact information provided in the “Contact Us” section below.
Nevada provides its residents with a limited right to opt-out of certain personal information sales. Residents who wish to exercise this sale opt-out rights may submit a request to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us using the other contact information provided in the “Contact Us” section below. However, please know we do not currently sell data triggering that statute's opt-out requirements.
We have implemented measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure. All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers behind firewalls. Any payment transactions will be encrypted using SSL technology.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to certain parts of our Services, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone. We urge you to be careful about giving out information in public areas of the Services like message boards. The information you share in public areas may be viewed by any user of the Services.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to our Services. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Services.
We will only keep your information, including any personal information, for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which we collected it, to comply with our legal obligations, or to enforce our legal rights (or as required so others may enforce their legal rights).
Generally, the length of time we keep your information will depend on the type of information and the purpose for which we are processing it. To determine the appropriate retention period, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the information, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure, the purposes for which we are processing it and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and any applicable legal requirements.
At the end of the appropriate retention period, we will either delete your information from our systems completely or deidentify or anonymize it so it can be used without identifying you and so we no longer have the ability to re-associate the deidentified or anonymized information with you in the future, such as by aggregating the information.
Technology Student Association
1904 Association Drive
Reston, Virginia 20191