Promoting Computer Science through TSA
During the 2018–2019 school year, TSA introduced two new high school competitions—Cybersecurity and IT Fundamentals+ Certification. For the 2019–2020 school year, three new middle school competitions have been added: Cybersecurity, IT Foundations, and Data Science and Analytics. This brings the total number of Computer Science-related TSA competitions to eight at the high school level and eight at the middle school level.
TSA will be promoting chapter membership to Computer Science (CS) teachers in multiple ways during the 2019–2020 school year. One such way is through the TSA Ambassadors program which was announced during the 2019 National TSA Conference. The TSA Ambassadors program provides an opportunity for existing TSA chapters to bring TSA to schools that have a CS program, but do not have a TSA chapter.
TSA Ambassador chapters will receive the following materials to assist in the recruiting process:
- criteria and instructions to become TSA Ambassador chapters
- list of schools in the TSA Ambassador chapter area that have CS programs but do not have a TSA chapter
- suggestions on how to contact the CS teacher
- instructions for requesting Ambassador Kits which contain some materials for the TSA Ambassador chapter to keep and others for distribution to the prospective chapter
- suggestions on how to hold follow-up meetings with the prospective TSA chapter
- instructions on how to keep national TSA informed on recruiting progress
- LEAP Ambassador form
TSA chapters that participate as Ambassadors and are successful in helping to form and mentor a new CS TSA chapter will receive the following benefits:
- consideration for fulfillment of LEAP requirement upon completion of Ambassador LEAP form
- national TSA website recognition
- Ambassador chapter certificate
- conference ribbon for those who attend the National TSA Conference
- recognition in the National TSA Conference program
- Ambassador pins for participating chapter members
- Ambassador chapter poster
If you are interested in becoming an Ambassador chapter, email TSA Project Manager Sandy Honour.