Applications are available each January for members interested in running for a national TSA office. Those interested members should contact Suzy Orr at firstname.lastname@example.org for an application. Below is the National TSA Officer Information Overview, including Candidate Qualifications and Application Procedure.
National TSA Officer Candidate Information Overview
(updated January 2017)
National TSA Officer Candidate Qualifications
1. The candidate must be a current TSA member
2. There may be no more than three national officer candidates from a state delegation in the same year.
3. Only current TSA members (active) in good standing are eligible to run for or hold a national office.
4. Candidates must be holding, or have held, an elected chartered state delegation office for at least one year.
5. A student cannot be elected to a national office during his or her senior year. He or she must have at least one year of school remaining at the time he or she runs for national office.
6. A TSA member must have completed the eighth grade to be qualified for a national TSA office.
7. A candidate may seek only one national office per year.
8. A candidate should have a thorough knowledge of parliamentary procedures and the TSA bylaws.
9. A candidate must be a member of TSA for at least one year before seeking a national office.
10. All candidates should have the ability to express opinions, make decisions, and be neat and business-like in appearance.
11. All candidates should carefully read the section in the TSA bylaws about national officer qualifications and duties, and, specifically, the responsibilities of the office they seek.
12. No individual may serve more than one term in the same national office.
13. Candidates must attend all national officer candidate meetings at the national TSA conference. Failure to attend all candidate meetings may result in removal of candidacy.
14. Any candidate elected as a national TSA officer at the national TSA conference may not hold a state or local TSA office concurrently with his or her term as a national TSA officer.
15. A national TSA officer will miss approximately five school days during the school year to fulfill his or her duties and must be able to travel alone and independently to all required events.
16. The 2017-2018 national TSA officers will meet in Reston, Virginia from July 25-28, 2017 and in Atlanta, Georgia from June 21-26, 2018. Additionally, the officers will meet in March 2018 at a site to be determined. TSA provides travel, lodging, and most meals for these events. Attendance at these meetings is required.
17. The national TSA president will be required to attend the TSA, Inc. Board of Directors meetings in the fall of 2017 in Reston, Virginia and June 2018 in Atlanta, Georgia.
18. If a school district, or the officer’s parents, requires an adult travel companion for any national TSA officer, it will be at their own expense. The companion will not participate in the officer program.
19. Typically, officers share hotel sleeping rooms. However, there may be an occasion whereby an officer would be the only person residing in a sleeping room. Males and females do not share sleeping rooms.
20. There will be at least two conference calls and/or Google hangouts throughout the school year paid for by national TSA and required of the national TSA officers.
21. The qualifications to be a candidate for national TSA office restrict persons not legally residing in the United States of America.
National TSA Officer Candidate Application Procedure
1. Those members interested in running for national office may contact Mrs. Suzy Orr, Program Manager at email@example.com beginning January 17, 2017. In your e-mail request, please include your name, home mailing address and home telephone number. You will receive an application packet by email.
2. Candidates must complete the “National TSA Officer Candidate Application” and the “National TSA Officer Candidate Agreement Form” from the application packet. Then scan and email or send by U.S. mail these, along with a one-page resume and a color, digital photo (jpg) of yourself in official attire to their state advisor by the suggested date of April 3, 2017 (postmarked). If you send your application by U.S. mail, you must also send electronically to your state advisor the color, digital photo of yourself.
3. State advisors are responsible for selecting a screening committee to check each candidate’s qualifications and to interview the candidate for the purpose of determining his or her capabilities to serve as a national TSA officer in his or her desired office. After screening and approving the application, either the state advisor or the candidate needs to scan and email or send by U.S. mail the candidate’s forms to Suzy Orr at National TSA, firstname.lastname@example.org by May 5, 2017 (postmarked). If there is no state advisor from a candidate’s state, the candidate should send the forms directly to National TSA by May 5, 2017 (postmarked). In addition to the application, a color, digital photo (jpeg format) of the candidate dressed in official TSA attire must be sent electronically to Mrs. Orr at email@example.com. This photo will be used in the national TSA conference program.
The information provided along with your photo becomes property of national TSA and may be published in print or electronic format.
4. National TSA will notify officer candidates by email of their eligibility on or about June 1, 2017.
5. Candidates must attend the national officer candidate orientation meeting at the national TSA conference on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 from 3:00 - 4:00 pm at the Rosen Shingle Creek Resort, 9939 Universal Blvd., Orlando, Florida 32819. Candidates may bring one adult guest to this meeting or they may attend alone. No other persons may attend this meeting. (Please do not wear official TSA attire to this meeting.)
6. All newly elected officers are required to attend a one-hour orientation meeting from approximately 12:00 pm to 1:00 pm immediately following the awards ceremony at the national TSA conference on June 25, 2017. Candidates’ travel plans need to accommodate this request.
Any questions about running for a national TSA office can be directed to Suzy Orr at firstname.lastname@example.org